Community College of Allegheny County (CCAC)

Community College of Allegheny County

Transfer Hints

The following hints are intended to help students as they make their way through their education at CCAC with the intention of transferring. For more thorough and personalized advice, students should schedule an appointment with a transfer counselor.

  • Transferring can be a complicated process. Seek the advice of a transfer counselor before scheduling classes. 
  • Every four-year college differs. Some courses or credits may transfer to one college but not to another. The more schools students are considering, the more difficult it becomes to choose courses each semester that will transfer in the same way to all of them. Early decision making is encouraged to maximize the number of credits that will apply to a chosen four-year college.
  • Students should do as much research as possible on the college they want to attend, and on the major they intend to pursue. They should also network with others in their fields of interest and conduct informational interviews, or "shadow" individuals in those fields. Review the four-year college's catalog and visit their website for more information. Does the college offer the academic programs they want? Can students afford to attend?
  • Earning an Associate's Degree does not necessarily guarantee students junior status at a four-year institution. If they have not signed an articulation agreement, it may take them longer than two more years to earn their Bachelor's Degree.
  • If a student changes majors or change his/her mind about where they intend to transfer, they may increase the chance that they will not receive credit for courses they have completed.
  • Students must be aware of the academic rigor of the major that interests them. Being a crime scene investigator may look like an interesting job on TV, but they don't show the necessarily heavy course loads in math and science.
  • Students should have a secondary plan of action and prepared to consider other options if they are not admitted to the college they have selected or in the major they intend to pursue.