1. All Employees shall be employed on a continuing basis.
2. Each Employee being continued shall, no later than March 15 of each year, be asked, in writing, to confirm her/his intention to remain with the College. Such confirmation must be made in writing by the Employee no later than April 15 of each year. Such confirmation will also ask the Employee to indicate her/his intention to request early retirement during the coming academic year and encourage them to retire in the Fall semester.
3. An Employee not being continued shall be so notified in writing no later than March 15 and shall be given, in writing, the reasons for such action.
a) No first-year Employee will be non-continued except for cause. If the cause is questioned, the Federation may process the matter through the grievance procedure and an appropriate committee of the Board shall be the final and binding step.
b) During and after an Employee's second year at the College, non-continuance shall be only for just cause. If the cause is questioned, the Federation may process the matter through the grievance procedure and an appropriate committee of the Board shall be the final and binding step for such Employee(s) who have not yet earned tenure, and arbitration under Step 5 of the Grievance Procedure shall be the final and binding step for tenured Employees.
B. TENURE FOR PROFESSIONAL EMPLOYEES
1. Professional Employees who have completed four (4) years of service at Community College of Allegheny County shall be granted tenure status.
2. An Employee will not be granted tenure unless such person has achieved a rank higher than instructor.
3. Non-continuance of a tenured Employee shall be only on the basis of incompetence, physical or mental incapacity which renders him/her unable to perform her/his assignment, or consistent failure to fulfill the responsibilities
4. Upon notification of non-continuance for any tenured faculty, the Federation may process the matter through the grievance procedure, to and including final binding arbitration.
C. PERSONNEL ACTION
The procedures of section A.3.a. and b., and B.4. shall be utilized for personnel actions other than those arising from Article X of this Agreement.