College Policy XII
CRITERIA FOR INITIAL PLACEMENT
I. EVALUATION OF ACADEMIC AND EXPERIENTIAL CREDENTIALS
The College shall utilize the following criteria in evaluation of all work experience, as well as evaluation of academic credentials, for the purpose of assigning proper rank placement for hiring and for determining eligibility for promotion: (See Tables I through III, Eligibility for Initial Placement and Promotion.).
A. EXPERIENCE PRIOR TO FULL-TIME EMPLOYMENT AT THE COLLEGE
1. Educational Experience
a. Educational experience shall be accrued in the following areas:
(1) Classroom teaching
(3) Library work
(4) Technical and Audio-Visual work.
b. Such educational experience shall be accrued at any or all of the following types of institutions, whether public or private:
(1) Elementary and secondary schools
(2) Two-year community and junior colleges
(3) Four-year colleges and institutions
(4) Specialized institutes of a technical or cultural nature
(5) Governmental educational institutions.
c. Part-time educational experience:
(1) For part-time teaching at the college level and for teaching assistantships, each thirty (30) semester hours shall be equal to one (1) year experience.
(2) For part-time educational experience in the counseling, library, audio-visual and technical areas, the hours worked shall be prorated to the normal annual workload in those areas, and years of experience shall be accrued accordingly.
d. The College shall grant for educational experience prior to full-time employment at the College one (1) year credit for each of the first six (6) years of such experience, and one half (1/2) year of credit for each additional year to a maximum of two (2) additional years of credit. No Employee shall be eligible for more than eight (8) years of credit for prior educational experience.
2. Full-time Experience Other Than Education:
a. Years of full-time experience other than education shall be accrued in accordance with the following:
(1) All such experience shall have been full-time work for which compensation was received.
(2) Non-teaching experience in fields relevant to the Employee's teaching discipline(s) at the College shall be credited only for work performed after attainment of a Bachelor's Degree.
(3) Counseling experience other than the educational field shall be credited only for work performed after attainment of a professional degree in counseling.
(4) Library experience other than the education field shall be credited only for work performed after attainment of a professional degree in Library Science.
(5) Employees in the Fine Arts or Career Programs shall be credited with years of related technical and professional experience outside education whether or not a Bachelor's Degree preceded such experience.
(6) Educational Technicians and Audio-Visual Specialists shall be credited for years of related experience outside education whether or not a Bachelor's Degree precedes such experience.
7) The College shall grant for full-time experience outside education one (1) year of credit for each of the first six (6) years of such experience and one-half (1/2) year of credit for each additional year to a maximum of two (2) years of credit. No Employee shall be eligible for more than eight (8) years of credit in this category, except as provided for in the following:
(8) Employees in the trade-career programs, in which apprenticeship and journeyman training have been traditional, shall have the right to accrue a maximum of twelve (12) years of credit in this category. For such Employees the College shall grant for full-time experience in such trade one (1) year of credit for each of the first ten (10) years of such experience and one-half (1/2) year of credit for each additional year to a maximum of two (2) additional years of credit.
(9) Registrations, such as CPA, RN, Registered Engineer, Registered Architect, etc., shall be evaluated as equal to thirty (30) credits for those with less than a Master's Degree.
b. The College shall credit an Employee with one (1) year of experience for each year of full-time employment with the College. There shall be no maximum as to the number of years' experience to accrue.
c. For purposes of hiring, credits and degrees to be evaluated shall be related to the expertise required by the position to be filled.
d. Credits and degrees applied towards promotion shall be related to the expertise required by the Employee's position in the College.
II. GUIDELINES FOR RANK ASSIGNMENT AND SALARY PLACEMENT
A. Any Employee hired during the term of this Agreement shall be assigned rank in accordance with Tables I and II of this policy. New Employees shall be assigned to either the highest rank for which they are eligible or if that rank is assistant professor or higher, to the immediately preceding rank.
B. Salary placement for new Employees shall be at a level commensurate with the salaries of Employees with similar experiential and educational backgrounds. In no instance shall the assigned salary be less than the minimum salary for the highest rank for which the Employee is eligible.