skip to main content

VA Policies and Forms


You must report any changes in your schedule to the OMVS office. Any changed schedule must align to your degree program. OMVS will notify you if they can't certify a course, but you are responsible for any schedule changes and fees related to dropping courses. If you change your schedule, you will need to notify OMVS. 

Once you have registered and confirmed all of your courses satisfy current degree requirements complete the
CCAC Military and Veterans Services Enrollment Certification Form every semester.

Change of degree or certificate program

A change of degree or certificate program is permitted, but it must be changed with Registration and be reflected on your schedule before we can certify you in that program.  After you have changed or updated your CCAC degree plan you will need to complete the VA Form 22-1995 Change of Program or Place of Training as well.

Student Policies and Standards of Progress

To continue receiving your VA benefits you must maintain grades in accordance with the CCAC Standards of Academic Progress.

The Community College of Allegheny County's catalog policies and regulations apply to all students, including veterans and military-connected students. VA rules are additional rules which apply to veterans only. Please feel free to discuss your questions with your counselor or academic advisor.

Class Attendance

Failure to attend a class without processing an official withdrawal will result in the Veterans Administration readjusting your training time and monthly benefit.

If a student enrolls in a class and is reported as not attending by the class instructor, the student may be dropped from the class. Although the class will not appear on the student's official transcript, the student will be responsible for all tuition and fees associated with the class.

Repeating Courses

VA regulations prohibit repeating a course in pursuit of a higher GPA for courses where a passing grade (a "d" grade or higher) was earned. However, if a "C" grade or better is necessary to progress to the next level (i.e. Nursing Clinical or prerequisite) in the student's program.

Monthly Monetary Award

It is the responsibility of the VA to determine your eligibility and monthly monetary award. This is not determined by the OMVS.

Students who have Tuition Assistance through the Pennsylvania National Guard must take a letter of eligibility from their unit commander to the Bursar office every term.

Any questions you may have regarding your eligibility or education benefits should be directed to the VA. You may telephone them at 888.442.4551.

Important: VA students are paid on a monthly basis based on current hours enrolled. Students need to be aware that taking courses in terms of different lengths (16 weeks, 14 weeks) may affect their full-time status. It is the student's responsibility to check this with the VA.

If you are in Chapter 30 or Chapter 1606, you are responsible for reporting the number of credits you are enrolled to the Department of Veteran Affairs in at the end of each month. You can do this by phone at 877.823.2378 or through the WAVE website.

Transcripts and Programs

All previous college transcripts and/or military records must be evaluated for appropriate transfer credit prior to certification of benefits, even if the coursework does not apply to your current curriculum, before your OMVS facilitator can certify your benefits. You need to speak to Registration and an academic advisor to have an evaluation. 

CCAC can assist in requesting your Official Joint Service Transcript (JST).  If you would like us to request it on your behalf please complete the Joint Service Transcript (JST) Request Form

The Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) requires that your coursework must be credited towards the associate of arts or associate of science degrees, approved applied degrees, approved diploma programs, and approved certificate programs. The approved programs of study can be found on the WEAMS website. The VA requires that your coursework is applicable to your chosen degree, diploma, or certificate. Courses that are not applicable to your degree, diploma, or certificate cannot be certified.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at