skip to main content


Residency Status

Residency (domicile*) requirements have been established for the purpose of assessing tuition and related fees. The requirements are set forth as follows:

Domicile will mean a person s true, fixed and permanent home, to which a person intends to return. A residence established for the purpose of attending an educational institution or qualifying for resident status for tuition purposes will not of itself constitute domicile. The residency of a dependent student (as defined by the IRS) is determined by the parent s domicile.
Students moving to Pennsylvania from outside the state must reside in Pennsylvania for one year before becoming eligible for in-state tuition and reside in the county by the first day of the term. Students must substantiate changes in status by appropriate documentation.

Exceptions may be made for students moving to Allegheny County if they can demonstrate an intent to remain in Allegheny County for purposes other than attending school. These exceptions may include a move for full-time employment and will require a written statement from the student's employer (or the parent s employer if the student is a dependent). All documentation for proof of residency must be received before the start of the term.

A student may also need to show financial independence as part of establishing residency.

All documentation must be received prior to the first day of the term.

Applicants or students who wish to appeal residency status are required to complete the Residency Appeal Form and submit to the, along with documentation detailed on the form. The Regional Director of Registration will review all appeals and may request multiple forms of documentation to prove residency status (example: PA driver s license, deed/lease, tax forms, etc.)

Veterans and their Dependents

The Community College of Allegheny County provides in-state, in-county tuition rates to all military member/veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces and their dependents.
Students who are out of state who wish to claim in-state, in-county status via military, veteran or dependent status must verify their affiliation with U.S. Armed Services with the Military and Veterans Services office on their campus.

Effective July 1, 2015, veterans and other students who qualify as covered individuals under the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014, 38 U.S.C. 3679 ( VACA ), will be eligible to receive the in-state, incounty tuition rate and fees established by the Board without regard to the student s state of legal residence. Veteran students will be required to provide a DD214 to prove veteran status. Dependents of veteran students will be required to provide the veteran sponsor s DD214 along with proof of dependent status, which may include copy of a current marriage certificate, birth certificate, federal income tax return or other documentation as reasonably required by the college.

For more information, please contact CCAC Military and Veterans Services at 412.237.6503.