What is Civic Engagement?
Any activity that encourages students to become active citizens involved on their campus, in their communities and in the wider world is considered civic engagement.
Examples of civic engagement activities:
- Serve as a poll worker
- Write a letter to your local newspaper or public official concerning a community issue
- Conduct an oral history of a veteran for the Library of Congress
- Volunteer in your community
- Become an active member of a college student life club or organization
CCAC’s civic purpose is to cultivate a sense of community.
- To promote intentional service activities for students, staff and community.
- To bring awareness of the issues associated with social justice and the impact on democracy.
- To help students develop civic literacy as well as self-awareness as global citizens.
Volunteer Opportunities and Resources
a nonprofit affiliate of the HandsOn Network and Points of Light Institute, offers a flexible approach to volunteering by partnering with nonprofit agencies and offering service opportunities to people of all ages.