Earn Your Class A License!
CCAC now offers training for a Pennsylvania Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL).
Classes meet at CCAC's Boyce Campus. CCAC's curriculum prepares students to take the CDL Class A knowledge, skills and road tests.
The knowledge test covers general knowledge, combination vehicle, air brake, hazardous materials, tankers and double-triples. The skills test requires performing a pre-trip inspection and various backing and parking maneuvers. The road test consists of driving a predetermined route.
The curriculum also covers:
- Department of Transportation (DOT) & Hours of Service regulations
- Map reading & trip planning
- Shifting techniques
- Industry terminology & career opportunities
Before taking the CDL Class A course, students must successfully complete the CDL Class A prerequisite course (Part 1) and also pass a DOT physical and drug screen.
CDL Driver Theory Classroom Sessions
- Four weeks, 80 hours
- All information needed to take and pass the PA CDL Class 'A' permit exam
- The exams are administered at the PA DMV Drivers' License Center(s)
- Expected outcome is to obtain a PA Class 'A' CDL permit with the appropriate endorsements to train and drive a Tractor-Trailer rig equipped with air brakes
- This permit MUST be obtained before the student can move on the second segment of the Class 'A' CDL program
CDL Range and Road Training BTW (Behind the Wheel) Sessions
- Four weeks, 80 hours
- Students will be trained to take and pass the PA Class 'A' BTW exam and obtain a CDL Drivers' license.
- Exams consists of Pre-trip Inspection, CDL Skills, On-the-Road driving test
- This test will be conducted on the CCAC CDL 3rd.-party test site at the CCAC Boyce Campus
- The expected outcome is for the student to obtain a Class 'A' CDL License with appropriate endorsements.
- This will allow the student seek and obtain employment as a CDL Class 'A' driver
Requirements for Students to Start, Train and Successfully Complete the CCAC CDL Course
- A valid Drivers' license
- Payment and/or funding in place before the start of the first day of Class
- Current COVID vaccination card or a CCAC-approved medical exemption (at time of enrollment)
- Must meet course benchmarks
- 90% attendance in both the classroom and BTW (range & road) training
- At least 80% on all tests and exams (both writer and BTW)
- Other benchmarks
- Copy of current valid drivers' license (2nd, day of class)
- 10-year DMV driving motor vehicle history (5th. Day of class)
- Obtain a Class 'A' CDL Driving permit with the appropriate endorsements (13th. Day of class)
- Take and pass the all Class 'A' BTW tests (Pre-trip, CDL Skills & CDL Road test)
Sign Up For The CDL Program Today!
Train for a Pennsylvania Class A CDL License in eight weeks!
For more information, email [email protected] or call 724.325.6834.
Employment – Placement and Retention
Students will be required to meet with the CDL Program placement advisor to discuss:
- Employment options based on the individual needs and circumstances
- The student's individual circumstances and appropriate employment opportunities (ex: Local, Regional, OTR, 2nd Chance, type of jobs, etc.)
Students are requested to respond to job retention information:
- Current employment status in the transportation industry
- Previous employment in the industry (if relevant)
- Additional employment information (as needed)